You are currently browsing the monthly archive for March 2010.
- Olga Rozanova and Kasimir Malevich, Ingra v adu (A Game in Hell).
lithograph, 1914. Alumni Annual Giving Program, 1982.
The exhibition, “Poem & Picture,” at the William Benton Museum of Art at the University of Connecticut is holding an opening reception on April 1, 2010 from 5 to 7:00pm. The exhibition is curated by Eve Perry, Assistant Curator at the William Benton Museum, and features collaborative works between 20th century poets and artists found in rare editions, little magazines, broadsides, and artists books, the bulk of which are from the Dodd Research Center collections. The event marks one of the largest loans of materials ever arranged between the Benton and the Dodd Research Center.
Poem & Picture features the collaborative visions of twentieth-century artists and poets, works that combine the disciplines of art and poetry in a way that each is complimented and enhanced by the other. They are poems and pictures intended to be experienced together, whether they are bound side-by-side in a limited edition book or as image and script integrated into a single work. Included in the exhibition are pages from the Russian literary avant-garde book Igra v adu (A Game in Hell) (1914) by Olga Rozanova and Kazimir Malevich. Selections from 21 Etchings and Poems (1960) present collaborations by Willem De Kooning and Harold Rosenberg, Peter Grippe and Dylan Thomas, and Franz Klein and Frank O’Hara. The Ariel Poems (1927-1954), a collection of limited edition illustrated poems, is represented by T.S. Eliot and E. McKnight Kauffer, and D.H. Lawrence and Althea Willoughby, among others.
The Dodd Center, CT Center for the Book, CT State Library, CT Library Association, CT Commission on Culture and Tourism, UConn Coop, and CT Humanities Council have formed a coaltion to plan the first statewide book festival to take place at the Greater Hartford UConn Campus on May 21-22, 2011. The goal of the festival is to bring together writers and readers with a target age of young adults and older. Connecticut author Wally Lamb, pictured below, has agreed to serve as honorary chair and approximately 25 Connecticut authors will be featured. There will be readings and signings, presentations and events for children. All programs will be free and open to the public. For more information contact Terri J. Goldich at 860.486.3646 or send an email to email@example.com.
The American Libraries Association (ALA) chose Connecticut History Online as the Digital Library of the Week, for the week of February 25th. Following is the press release from ALA:
Connecticut History Online is a digital collection of over 15,000 digital primary sources, together with associated interpretive and educational material. Now in its 10th year, CHO is embarking on a collaboration with the Encyclopedia of Connecticut History Online to serve the needs of scholars, teachers and students, genealogists, and the general public. This new initiative builds upon a very successful collaboration of libraries and museums carried out in two IMLS National Leadership grant-funded phases (1999–2007) that focused on digital capture of historical artifacts, including photographs, maps, broadsides, oral histories, manuscripts, and oral histories. These document events, people, and places that are part of the fabric of Connecticut and American social, business, political, educational, cultural, and civic life. The four current CHO partners (the Connecticut Historical Society, Connecticut State Library, Mystic Seaport, and the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center) represent three major communities that preserve and make accessible historical collections within the state of Connecticut. Their combined assets include book and periodical volumes, manuscript materials, photographs and graphics, oral histories, maps, artifacts, and broadsides.
Check out Connecticut History Online today!
The rich resources of the Archives & Special Collections, which encompass holdings as diverse as human rights, the alternative press, 20th century American poets and authors, and Connecticut’s history, are now easier than ever to discover online.
Our new online tool enables users to search, either by key word or subject, the inventories and detailed descriptions of over 600 collections housed here in the Center.
For example, a search of the word “ecology,” returns the papers of the Connecticut Citizens Action Group, the first state-based consumer interest group created in 1971 by Ralph Nader, the poem, “The Ecology of the Soul,” by Joel Oppenheimer, a poet affiliated with the experimental Black Mountain College, as well and the papers of Walter Landauer, a professor in animal genetics at UConn’s Experiment Station, best known for his research on chickens.
The inventories reveal the strength and variety of our holdings which extend to railroad history, Connecticut business, labor and industry, ethnic heritage, immigration, politics, and social movements throughout the world.
Try out the new tool by visiting: http://doddcenter.uconn.edu
Please join the Human Rights Institute and the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center for the March film for the 2009-2010 Human Rights Film Series: Human Rights in the USA.
Film: “SiCKO” (2007)
Directed by Michael Moore
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
4:00 pm, Konover Auditorium
Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
The words “health care” and “comedy” aren’t usually found in the same sentence, but in Academy Award winning filmmaker Michael Moore’s film ‘SiCKO,’ they go together hand in (rubber) glove. While Moore’s ‘SiCKO’ follows the trailblazing path of previous hit films, the Oscar-winning BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE and all-time box-office documentary champ FAHRENHEIT 9/11, it is also something very different for Michael Moore. ‘SiCKO’ is a straight-from-the-heart portrait of the crazy and sometimes cruel U.S. health care system, told from the vantage of everyday people faced with extraordinary and bizarre challenges in their quest for basic health coverage. Watch the film trailer at http://sickothemovie.com/dvd/trailer.html
For more information on the full film series, including upcoming films, a downloadable poster is available on our website at http://doddcenter.uconn.edu/events/hr_usa_film_series.htm
For some time now Archives & Special Collections has been working with MAGIC, the UConn Libraries’ map library, to present online the railroad maps we hold of the New Haven Railroad system. One of our latest digital projects, New Haven Railroad Valuation Maps, is now available through the UConn Libraries’ Digital Mosaic at http://images.lib.uconn.edu/.
This set of maps was created by the railroad for the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1915 and consists of detailed trackplans of the railroad’s property with historical information on when and from whom the property was purchased. Currently we have 1710 maps from the entire collection of over 2400 available. The maps you see now include all the Connecticut maps (note that there are gaps in the routes — our map collection is not absolutely complete), about all but a handful of the Rhode Island maps, and about 600 maps of central Massachusetts.
The original plans were already one of our highest use collections and the digital version is proving to be even more popular. We are currently at work getting the remaining maps to you — keep checking the Digital Mosaic for updates!
For more information about the New Haven Railroad and the Railroad History Archive visit http://railroads.uconn.edu/.
“Bailey looked and often acted like the traditional ward politician. Tall and rumpled with an ever-present cigar in his mouth, his glasses pushed up on his forehead and speaking in a hoarse confidential tone, he was at home in the smoke-filled rooms of convention hotels. He was an artist at balancing a ticket to conform to Connecticut’s ethnic composition. He worked hard at disguising the facts that he was the son of a well-to-do-physician, had been educated at Catholic University and Harvard Law School, and maintained a lucrative Hartford law practice. Yet in reality he was a new-style boss who combined mastery of parochial political detail with astute knowledge of the legislative process and enough national vision to become one of the members of President Kennedy’s inner circle of advisors.” (CT Heritage Gateway, entry by Herbert F. Janick, http://www.ctheritage.org/encyclopedia/ctsince1929/bailey.htm
The collection of the Democratic giant from Connecticut , John M. Bailey, is now available at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center. Bailey worked for John F. Kennedy’s successful presidential campaign in 1960, and then went on to serve as chairman of the National Democratic Party from 1961-1968. The collection includes boxes of correspondence from the 1960s including letters with Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, speeches at numerous conferences nationwide, as well as photographs, press releases, and travel schedules.
For more information please see:
In 1999, Curator Terri Goldich joined Mrs. Billie M. Levy’s program “Children’s Books: Their Creators and Collectors”. The show, which began in 1993 on West Hartford Community Television, hosted hundreds of well know authors, illustrators and collectors over the years. Billie Levy, a retired librarian, children’s book collector and host of the popular show, is well-known to the Dodd Research Center. Her donation of over 10,000 children’s books is the backbone of the Northeast Children’s Literature Collection (NCLC). And on a personal note, her southern hospitality brightens up any room she joins.
In this video from the archives, courtesy of the University Libraries’ new video streaming service, you can hear from our own NCLC Curator, Terri Goldich, just shortly after the new facilities of the Dodd Research Center were dedicated in a plea to authors and illustrators to “Save That Draft”. mms://video.lib.uconn.edu/Levy49
Two men from UConn’s early history share March 2 as their birthday. So we offer up best wishes to the memory of Theodore Sedgwick Gold, an unsung founder of the Storrs Agricultural School, and George W. Flint, second president of the school when it became Connecticut Agricultural College.
Gold, one of the first trustees of the school when it was established in 1881, was born on March 2, 1818 in Cornwall, Connecticut. In 1845, he joined his father, Dr. Samuel Gold, in founding an agricultural school for boys, the Cream Hill School, in West Cornwall. Even before the school closed in 1869, Theodore was a champion for establishing a state agricultural school for boys, and, in his 50th anniversary history of Connecticut Agricultural College in 1931, Walter Stemmons wrote that “Gold was in a position, at least after 1866, to impress his educational ideas upon the Storrs brothers. The striking similarity in form and substance between the Cream Hill School and the Storrs Agricultural School is evidence which cannot be ignored.” As a member of the state school’s initial Board of Trustees, Gold headed a subcommittee charged with the new school’s organization. For many years he was secretary of the board, and in 1900, he wrote the first history of the college. A copy of that history is part of the Gold family papers in the University’s archives.
George Flint’s tenure with the college was much briefer than Gold’s, and a good deal more controversial. During his first year as president, Flint saw what had been Storrs Agricultural College since 1893, become Connecticut Agricultural College in 1899. But by then, he was at the center of a dispute that became known as the “War of the Rebellion.” Flint’s interest in classical education over agricultural, and his efforts to incorporate them into the curriculum of CAC brought him into direct conflict with members of the faculty.
The “war” was played out, in part, through letters-to-the-editor columns of newspapers in Connecticut New York, and Boston. Long-time faculty resigned, and, at the request of trustees, Flint resigned in 1901.