One of the loveliest spots in Connecticut also happens to be a regional campus of the University of Connecticut. In addition to serving as the home of UConn’s Connecticut Sea Grant College Program, Project Oceanology, National Undersea Research Center and Long Island Sound Resource Center, the Avery Point campus is situated on the site of what was the estate of Morton F. Plant, a wealthy businessman. Built in 1903, Branford House and its grounds were lovingly documented in several hundred hand-colored photographs, some of which are shown above. The photographs, colored by Blanche M. Osborne, were taken in 1917. These, and earlier black and white photographs of the construction of the house, are available for viewing on the Connecticut History Online website. Additional information about Mr. Plant and his estate can be found on the Avery Point campus website.
-Betsy Pittman, University Archivist